I Finally Made It!

Sorry for the blog post overload today, but I am too excited not to share.

(via)


For the past year and a half, I have had the No-Sew Ruffle Christmas Tree Skirt on my things to do list.  [Anyone else use any.do for their to do list?  It's fab!]  I orginally saw this craft on Nicole's blog over at Puttin' on the G.R.I.T.S.  After seeing it again on Lauren's blog, I decided I would do it for this Christmas.

I FINALLY got around to doing it today and I am obsessed.

Supplies Needed:



*4 1/2 X 4 1/2 canvas (you could use a painter's drop cloth, but of course the Holly Springs' Michael's doesn't sell drop cloths, so I used a piece of canvas fabric)
*4 yards of cream linen (I used cream cotton fabric)
*sharp scissors
*measuring tape/yard stick
*fray blocking glue
*3 1/2 yards of grosgrain ribbon
*hot glue gun
*hot glue sticks

My canvas was actually uneven; 3 1/2 yards by 4 1/2 yards, so I had to cut it down to make it even.



Then, I folded it into quarters.



Then into a triangle.



Then, I cut the ends off.

*I had trouble with my scissors despite them being brand new fabric scissors, so my edges were a little wonky.



Despite the ends being wonky, I loved the points on the four corners so I decided to leave them.



My second mess-up came when I cut too much and cut it in halves.  It should only be split at one end.  I thought I would tie bows on both sides and be done.  However, I was able to attach the fabric across one of the slits and you can't even tell now.

(via)

I forgot to take a picture of the ruffles being glued down, so I'm borrowing a picture from HGTV.  This was super tedious but again, not hard to fix if you mess up.



It took me a bit to get the hang of the ruffles.  You can see I started off small, and then started figuring out to make it bigger.  The great thing about this is that if you make a mistake, you can cover it up with more ruffles.



I wanted to take this picture to show that I was able to cover up my mistakes on the back end.  



I posted a picture of the supplies on my Instagram and had several people text me to ask how it was going.  It took me a while, but I was about 45 minutes away from being done at this point.  My text was this picture with the caption "The end is near!"

For the ribbon, I just flipped both sides of the skirt up and glued the ends down underneath.  I tested out lengths to see how big I wanted the bows.  It was trial and error until I determined the right length.



And this is my finished product!

It took me about 5 1/2 to 6 hours total, but that was because I also had to take a couple of wedding related calls and e-mails.  Aside from that, I worked consistently.  As I said above, it is tedious, but definitely worth it in the end!  If you make one yourself, let me know!  If you want me to make you one, e-mail me at champagneandsuburbs {at} gmail. dot com and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

Happy Crafting!
xoxo

P.S. Hope you had a great Veteran's Day!  I cannot tell you how grateful I am to our military today, and every day.  Thank you for all you do!

Labels: ,