Suburb Sunday: Christmas Decorations

Ever since I was a little girl, I have been a huge fan of decorating for Christmas.  However, I also recognize that does not make me unique.  But my reasoning does.  When I was little, my grandfather and grandmother started decorating the day after Halloween.  Every room in their house was decorated in a different Christmas theme.  My grandmother had a beautiful village and white tree that she decorated with silver and gold ornaments.  Starting on December 21 and running through the 23rd, my grandfather dressed up as Santa Claus and had one of his farm workers drive him around the family farm on a tractor pulling a sleigh.  People came from all over to see Santa and all of their Christmas decorations.  My grandmother baked and cooked insane amounts of food and made all sorts of festive drinks and had an "open house" literally.

My grandfather is no longer with us, but my grandmother still decorates in themes.  I get my concepts from things they had that I loved growing up.  Luckily, DG shares my love of decorating for Christmas, so decorating is one thing that we consistently look forward to together as a couple.

I was really pleased with our overall decorations this year.


I wanted a huge burlap bow, but the ribbon I had wasn't big enough.  That's on my list for next year.  Here are some of my favorite ornaments.




These ornaments clockwise (starting with the huge picture in the middle): Charlie Brown Christmas tree gifted to me last year from my bff ALB, Wizard of Oz ornament from DG, Charlie Brown Christmas ornament from DG, "Dear Santa" from my parentes, engagement ring ornament, It's a Wonderful Life bell ornament, angel ornament hand made by my aunt, engagement ring ornament from my sweet friend Amy, DG's art teacher ornament, glitter ball ornament from DG, and Santa ornament handed down from my grandfather to my mother and then to me.

I added a new ornament this year!  It's a sponge candy ornament from my friend Mary's super thoughtful mother.  Sponge candy is from Buffalo and is one of my favorite things about Buffalo.



I love the way our mantle turned out using these little scenes that my grandmother gave us.  DG is obsessed with the Polar Express, so when he was in college, his parents gifted him a village and a train.  Last night, the 1st annual tacky Christmas sweater party was hosted at the house, and all the guys were obsessed with the train.



And of course, here is Winston's little baby tree!



My parents gift me one of Hallmark's puppy love ornaments every year, so I hung those ornaments on the tree.  Can you tell how excited he is?  Hah!

How much fun did you have decorating for Christmas this year?

What are you favorite decorations?

Hope you're having a great weekend!

xoxo

Labels: ,