Suburb Sunday: DIY Day

I've been seeing these great glitter wine glasses and champagne  flutes on Etsy, so I decided to DIY them myself over break

Supplies Needed:
*Rubbing alcohol
*Cotton swabs
*Painters tape
*Wine glasses/champagne flutes (I got mine from Target's $1 section)
*Glitter (I used Martha Stewart Yellow Gold)
*Martha Stewart Decoupage (gloss finish) *linked is similar; I got mine from Michael's
*Spouncer


I started by washing the champagne flutes and wiping the bottom area with rubbing alcohol.  Then I wrapped the stem with painter's tape.


I used a cardboard box to pour the glitter so I could salvage some at the end and to eliminate a mess.

I painted on the decoupage with the spouncer and then poured the glitter on to the base.


You can see that I was a little messy with my application of the decoupage.  I immediately removed the painter's tape after applying the glitter.

Once I was one, I placed them upside down to dry.


I let them dry for 24 hours, shook off any extra glitter, and then added another layer of the decoupage.

I waited 24 more hours, and then added my last coat of decoupage.  I am letting them cure for 7 days after the 2nd coat.  The decoupage is supposed to make the glitter dishwasher safe on the top rack.  I'm actually going to stick with handwashing them, but just one of the reasons why I love the decoupage.


Here's the finished product!


I made a total of 15 of these.  I'm really pleased with how these turned out!  It didn't take me as long as I anticipated; it took me an hour for the first day; 15 minutes for the following two.  And it wasn't messy at all.  The cardboard helped, and I do have a painter's canvas laying under the crafting table, so it was super easy cleaning up.

I'll leave you with a close up of the glitter!

What's been your most recent DIY?

What do you think about these glitter champagne flutes?

Happy Sunday!
xo

Labels: