Nostaglia


This funny thing happens every year around this time; I start to get nostaglic for where I grew up.  When I was in high school and college, I couldn't wait to get away from the town I was raised in.  I had a great childhood and loved growing up in a small town, but I knew I would not end up moving back there.

However, a couple of years ago, my mom and dad moved back to an even more rural part.  Remember this story?  I love going back to visit them for the fields of cotton and soy beans, but I also love going back to visit them because of the change of pace.  The town they live in doesn't have a restaurant for dinner and the grocery store just recently closed.  It becomes depressing for me to see this agricultural based community starting to get swept up in time.  People my age aren't really moving back to that area, but each time I visit, I envision DG and me buying an old house and fixing it up as a weekend home.  There are so many in the little town Mom and Dad live in, and I just can't stop thinking about it.

I found this amazing site on Facebook featuring houses and scenes from the area I grew up.  Here are some of my favorites.

(via)

(via)

(via)

(via)

(via)

Photo: House With Rainbow Curtains:  Abandoned 1850's Italianate Plantation House, Pitt County, North Carolina
(via)

And these two pictures almost brought me to tears.  When I was in college, my parents lived about an hour away.  I could have taken major highways to get home, but always opted on taking the back roads.  These pictures were posted on Saturday, when I was planting purple and yellow mums in my favorite East Carolina shirt from my freshman year in college.  I used to pass these houses, and on occasion, would stop and walk around just to level my thoughts.  I remember my friends thinking I was absolutely nuts, but there was something calming about these two sites.  I was shocked at the emotion these brought back, but to be honest, I miss those times back east too.

Photo: The Cabin in the Fields:  NC 43 North, Bruce Vicinity, Pitt County, North Carolina
(via)

(via)

What do you get nostaglic for?

xoxo,

post signature

Labels: