Weekending: Celebrating the Women in My Life

I have got the dreamers' disease:
(via)

Good morning!  I hope you had a great weekend celebrating a special lady in your life.  My weekend was filled with the perfect amount of excitement, relaxation, and celebration.  I didn't snap any pictures, but I wanted to share a little about my weekend.

I headed back east to my parents' house on Saturday morning.  I got there in time to have lunch with my parents at the only restaurant left in town.  My parents knew everyone who walked in the restaurant and asked about their family members by name.  We went back and watched Move- In Ready, a Fixer Upper type show based in Charleston.  I had a realization while talking with my parents about some of my aspirations and possibilities that I got lucky.  My parents were tough on me growing up, but kept me out of trouble.  I was scared of disappointing them at a young age, and still am at almost 30.  But as an adult, I just plain like them.  My mama can tell a story like no other and when she talks to you, she lays on that Southern charm and makes you feel like you're the only person that matters.  My dad and I have the same sense of humor and work ethic, and I really enjoy their company.  I realize how lucky I am to say that, because I also know that not everyone can to say that.  They're always so encouraging, but also don't mind telling me when I'm being ridiculous.

We then headed over to visit with my dad's mother.  I was so blessed to know all 4 of my grandparents, and both of my grandmothers are still with us.  However, my dad's mom isn't in great health.  She is suffering from dementia and has not been doing well since around Christmas.  I didn't really know what to expect when seeing her Saturday, but she was very chatty.  At this point, she has long forgotten who I am, but at one point, she took my hand, kissed it, and told me she loved me.  I choked back tears, but I will cherish that moment for the rest of my life.  My grandmother likes for people to talk to her, and she and my dad were having a good old time together and it really did my heart good to see.

Later, we headed to have dinner with my mom's mother and her siblings.  We had a nice time socializing, and I get quite the kick out of my grandmother.  She is a sassy little thing and I realize where I get my love from dogs when she talks about hers.  It was so nice to catch up with some of my family that I don't see very often.

On my drive back, I couldn't help but reflect on how lucky I am that I have the family that I do.  It was such a refreshing weekend and I'm so glad I was able to be there.

Sunday was spent relaxing.  I slept in, snuggled with Winston, and got to sit outside in 80+ degree weather for a couple of hours before getting ready for the week ahead.  I can't believe there are only 3 more Mondays until summer break starts.

How was your weekend?  Be sure to link up and tell Biana and me all about it!

P.S. Local people!  Don't forget to enter the giveaway for FlyWheel Sports in Cameron Village.  Click here to enter and for all the details!

xo

Labels: