When I saw this recipe in Southern Living, I knew I needed to try it. It was definitely a hit in our house and we'll be making this again soon! Any recipe where I can use my crockpot is always higher up on my list!
- 2 uncooked bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 beef brisket, trimmed (I used skirt steak and was really delish)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 teaspoons of adobo sauce from can
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons apple cide vinegar
- 10-12 flour tortillas warmed
- Crunchy Summer Salsa (recipe at the end)
- Place bacon & onion in a slow cooker. Mix salt and pepper together and sprinkle on all sides of brisket (or skirt steak) and place in slow cooker.
- Process broth and next 7 ingredients in a blender for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Pour mixture over brisket. Cover and cook for 7 hours on LOW. Transfer brisket to a 9X13 inch baking dish and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Pour remaining adobo sauce through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occassionally for 15-20 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
- Coarsely chop brisket, spoon over warm tortillas. Drizzle with sauce and top with salsa.
Crunchy Summer Salsa (which is delicious with chips, too!)
- 1 cup diced fresh peaches
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl.